Friday, September 30, 2011

Healthy Hair Without the High Price Tag

We women love our hair.  We spend lots of time and money on it, making it look as nice as we can.  But seriously, do we need to spend so much of our hard earned resources on our hair?  Is it truly necessary?  I think not.

I have found some low cost, low time tricks to use on my hair to make it really healthy.  Even my hairdresser, a real "rock star" who works for an expensive hair care product company who travels to exotic places to work- even she comments on how healthy my hair is. ("Whatever you're doing is working," she says.)

Here are my tools and technics for soft, healthy, well-conditioned hair.
  • Use a shampoo that's as natural as you can get.  I happen to really like Organix.  No shampoo is completely natural, but we do the best we can.
  • Put the desired amount of shampoo into your hand
  • Add one drop of glycerin to the shampoo.
  • Shampoo as normal; rinse
  • Increase the water temperature
  • Pour conditioner into your hand
  • Add one drop of glycerin to the conditioner, rub with hands to mix
  • Get your hair as hot as you can possibly stand to open up the hair shaft to receive the moisture
  • Quickly as you can, apply the conditioner and glycerin to the hair
  • Let sit for 3 minutes
  • Turn down the water temperature to as cool as possible
  • Rinse out quickly.
Isn't that easy?  No more trips to the salon for deep conditioning.  No more messy hot oil treatments.  And no more expensive conditioners.  (That's my favorite one!)
 
Why did I start using glycerin?  No, not because I happened to have it in my cupboard for making hand soap.  After seeing a glamorous advertisement for a glycerin shampoo with essential oils- for a whopping $30- I realized that glycerin is a top ingredient in most, if not all, our beauty products.  On a whim, I decided to try it.  I'm certainly satisfied with the results.

That's the outside.  But the inside needs help, too.  Remember to take your Essential Fatty Acids. Supplementing with good oils will change your hair and your complexion- not to mention all the health benefits!  I use astaxanthin, krill oil and evening primrose oil supplements, and we cook with coconut oil- all wonderful EFA's.
 
Now we are practical and pretty!
 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. Glycerin is sold at any drugstore. I bought mine at CVS- but had to ask for help in finding it. It's only $4-5 for a very big bottle, considering how little is needed. :-)

    ReplyDelete