Friday, July 1, 2011

Knee Pain

Foot pain seems to run in my family.  (No pun intended, but it was a good one!)  My husband had foot pain so bad, he had custom othotics (shoe inserts) specially made for him- back in the days of extra money.  Our son had knee pain that stemmed from a flattened arch.  It was physical therapy for him.  I have had chronic foot pain that drove me to a unique foot doc that treated me with magnets.  That wasn't much of a cure.  In fact, my foot problems led to pain in my knee, too.

Being a practical person, I always look for solutions.  Turns out, there are quite a few.  To keep it short and sweet, I'll only share the ones that have proved successful for us.

Shoe orthotics really do work- if you can afford them. They put your feet back to their anatomically correct positions, and voila'!  Pain is gone!  And you can get generic ones at bigger stores that work pretty well.  However, they take up space in your shoe, and with a wide foot, it's uncomfortable.

Taking a hard look at my old shoes, I noticed that the out part of the soles were worn down unevenly.  AHA!!  If I roll my feet slightly inwardly, the pain in my knee disappeared.  I urged my daughter, who wears out her shoes just the opposite of the way I do, to roll her feet to the outsides.  I'm delighted with the results.

My son who had the aid of a physical therapist, tells me that he has learned to draw his big toe toward his arch.  Works for him!

No expensive orthotics, our shoes are wearing evenly, and best of all, no more knee pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment