Sunday, July 3, 2011

White Willow Bark

Today I had a headache from too much teenage drama.  A few tears, some stress, then a post-nap headache.  I didn't have time to deal with it before I had to leave, so I had to wait it out for two very long hours, hoping it would go on its own.  But no-  I was forced to deal with it.

I thought I would give White Willow Bark a go.  I've used it before with good success.  Compared to aspirin, it takes longer to work, but the benefits outweigh aspirin, and the effects last longer.

Aspirin v. White Willow Bark
Why not just use aspirin, like everybody else?  For a number of good reasons.  Firstly, it's a whole product, unlike aspirin which is an isolated compound with additives to buffer the wickedly bitter taste.  As a whole herb, there are more benefits in the complex compounds.  There are antioxidants in there- a real plus.  It's antiseptic, too- meaning that it fights infection.  Inflammation is reduced, and that helps with many problems, including osteoarthritis and low back pain.  To top it off, it will actually boost the immune system, helping the body to protect itself from attack by infectious agents.  Did I mention it cures headaches?

Dosage
One capsule every six hours.  You could make a tea from it, but I'd rather just take a capsule than drink the stuff!

Contraindications
Anticoagulants (blood-thinning medications) -- Willow bark may strengthen the effects of drugs and herbs with blood-thinning properties, and increase the risk of bleeding.
Beta blockers -- including Atenolol (Tenormin), Metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol-XL), Propranolol (Inderal, Inderal LA). Willow bark may make these drugs less effective.
Diuretics (water pills) -- Willow bark may make these drugs less effective.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs -- including ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) and naproxen (Aleve). Taking willow bark with these drugs may increase risk of stomach bleeding.
Methotrexate and phenytoin (Dilantin) -- Willow may increase levels of these drugs in the body, resulting in toxic levels  
--Courtesy of University of Maryland Medical Center

 (But we don't take drugs, now, do we?!?)

It's been an hour since I took the White Willow Bark, and I feel a lot better.  The headache gradually subsided, and the inflammation is gone.  I like this herb.

These statements have been approved by Mom at practical-health.  Feel free to comment!

1 comment: